In 2008, Calvary Grace Church started hosting an annual conference.
Why a Conference?
When life is busy, the things that used to be special become commonplace. 'Familiarity breeds contempt' doing the 'Same Old, Same Old' week after week. That can happen at church very easily. The same preaching. The same singing. The same arrangement of people in the pews. What was special and precious becomes common and even forgettable.
Your First Love
The church is not a social club, so our enjoyment and prioritizing of the church is rooted in something much more important - our love for Jesus. If we lose our 'first love' (Rev 2.4), then we will certainly lose our love for the church. But as we grow in our love for Jesus, we will love what he loves - the congregation of smelly, stubborn sheep (cf. John 10.11).
Conferences as Intense Spiritual Opportunities
A conference is an opportunity to have intensive focus on God's word and his ways in fellowship with other people. A conference can provide a special season of growing in the Lord. This is the reason that I have wanted Calvary Grace to host a conference. It adds an annual time of intense spiritual opportunity for spiritual growth.
Conferences as Services to the Church
In addition, conferences give a host church the opportunity to minister to other Christians (and even non-Christians) who might not enjoy very many spiritual growth opportunities. It is a chance to meet other brothers and sisters in Christ. And it is a way to stoke each others' spiritual fires through mutual listening, sharing and serving.
Audio for Past Conferences:
- 2009 – Living in the world, but not of the world - Dr. Arturo Azurdia
- 2010 – The Goodness of the Gospel - Vishal Mangalwadi & Dr. Arturo Azurdia
- 2011 – The Mystery of the Trinity – Dr. Bruce Ware
- 2012 – The Relevance of the Reformation: Learning from the Past, Living in the Present – Dr. Carl Trueman
- 2013 – The Dungeon Flam’d with Light: Revival in 18th Century England and Its lessons for today – Dr. Michael Haykin
- Fall 2013 – Church Planting among the Poor – Mez McConnell
- 2014 – Abiding Love in the Midst of a Cold World – Ryan Fullerton
- Fall 2014 – Healthy Eldership – Jeramie Rinne
- 2015 - The Goodness of Biblical Manhood and Womanhood - Owen Strachan & Jodi Ware
- Fall 2015 - Elders Refresher
- 2016 - Holiness: The Refiner's Fire in a Facebook Age
- 2017 - Deuteronomy: Looking at Jesus through the Law of Moses - Ryan Fullerton